What is Spirulina? Arthrospira spp. is one of the oldest life forms on Earth, the original superfood. The microalgae have grown naturally in pools, lakes and oceans, in sub-tropical regions across the world for 3.5 billion years. Its name comes from the spiral shape it makes as it grows.
Spirulina has been consumed for centuries by Aztec Indians who called it ‘Techuitlatl’ literally translated ‘stone’s excrement.’ It also has a long documented use in Africa, where it was harvested from small lakes and ponds in Chad and baked into cakes called dihe. Today it is used by NASA for its nutritional value on long-term space missions.
- One of the richest and most complete food sources in the World.
- 50-60% highly digestible vegetable protein (by weight).
- 18 different amino acids.
- 58 times more iron than spinach.
- 10 times more beta-carotene than carrots.
- High ORAC value – 4 times that of blueberries.
- Contains Vitamins: B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, B12, C, D, A, K and E.
- Contains Minerals: potassium, calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium and zinc.
- Major source of Gamma-Linolenic Acid.
- High Chlorophyll content – naturally occurring plant pigment regarded as a powerful element for detoxification.
How to use Add 1 teaspoon fruit juice, shake to mix. Or blend with a vegetable smoothie. The vitamin rich powder can also be used to make face and body masks.
- 100% Pure blue-green, freshwater algae.
- Grown under direct sunlight and filter harvested.
- Supplied in a heat-sealed foil pouch for freshness and security.
- Made from PET/AL/LLDPE to provide high barrier protection against light, moisture and oxygen for extended life.
- Re-sealable for safe storage.